Solvay and 38 major French companies take concrete action to combat climate change.
In the lead-up to the Paris climate summit (COP 21), Solvay and 38 major French companies have made a firm commitment to combat climate change. By signing this climate pledge, Solvay want to contribute to making COP 21 a success and to limiting the warming of Earth to 2°C.
Solvay and the 38 companies are taking concrete steps to reduce our carbon footprint through:
- The use of active and passive energy efficiency solutions,
- The use of renewable energy, notably hydro, wind or Solar energy,
- The systematic reduction of greenhouse gas emissions throughout the life cycle of their products,
- The development of new low-carbon materials and solutions,
- The reduction of food waste and packaging,
- The adoption of long-term investment strategies actively promoting energy transition
From 2016 to 2020, Solvay and the 38 companies plan to invest :
- at least 45 billion euros in industrial projects and R&D devoted to renewable energy, energy efficiency and other low carbon technologies,
- at least 80 billion euros for projects contributing to the fight against climate change,
- 15 billion euros in new nuclear capacities
- 30 billion euros in natural gas as energy transition solution