Fomblin® PFPE Lubricant Applications
Fomblin® PFPE-based fluorinated greases and lubricants possess a combination of exceptional properties such as:
- Chemical inertness
- Good lubricity
- Thermal stability
- Low volatility
- Low toxicity
Fomblin® PFPE lubricants have been a critical part of the space programs of both the United States (NASA) and the European Space Agency for over 25 years. For example, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena chose to use grease specially formulated by Castrol® using Solvay Fomblin® PFPE perfluorinated fluids for the highly successful Mars Pathfinder and its surface explorer, the Sojourner® Rover.
Extend the life of your air induction system components with Fomblin® PFPE fluorinated lubricants. These high performance lubricants have exceptional properties, such as:
- Typical service temperature in automotive applications: from -40°C to 150°C.
- Fomblin® PFPE lubricants are characterized by their excellent properties at low temperature.
- The viscosity index of the Fomblin® PFPE oils can be higher than 300 and the friction at low temperature is very low.
- Fomblin® PFPE oils are compatible with metals, plastics and elastomers.
- Low evaporation weight loss which extends the service life of the lubricant and of the lubricated components.
- Fully fluorinated molecules are not mixable with water and have excellent behavior in terms of wash-out.
Fan & Radiator Lubrication
Fomblin® PFPE fluorinated fluids are high performance lubricants with exceptional properties such as:
- Low evaporation weight loss
- Low noise High viscosity index
- Anti-wear properties
- No carbonized residue formation
- Very long service life at high and low temperatures
Self-lubricating bearings can be used in places where re-lubrication is difficult. The use of Fomblin® PFPE enables system designs without reservoirs, reducing the weight and the size of the components. Fomblin® PFPE is widely used as lubricants in sintered metal bearings for electric fans and radiators.
Fomblin® PFPE is a family of high performance fluorinated lubricants with exceptional properties such as:
- Compatibility with fuels Wide temperature service range
- Oustanding properties at low temperature
- Low evaporation weight loss, which extends the durability of the lubricant and of the lubricated components
- Non-flammable and safe
- Oxidation and thermal stability and resistant to most automotive solvents, oils, fluids and gases.
Fomblin® PFPE is widely used as lubrication for mechanical and hydraulic components.
Fomblin® PFPE fluids and Fomblin® PFPE-based greases are high performance perfluorinated polyethers lubricants having exceptional properties such low evaporation weight loss, low noise, high viscosity index, anti-wear properties, no carbonized residue formation, very long lubricating life at high and low temperatures.
Fomblin® PFPE fluids and Fomblin® PFPE-based greases are compatible with plastic, elastomer, metals and leather and used in applications such as headrests, sunroof systems, etc.
Fomblin® PFPE is the ideal lubrication solution for the automotive industry, meeting lubrication challenges by providing the best possible performance for demanding applications:
- Satisfying Extended Warranties - Components must be designed for lifetime lubrication
- Wide operating temperature range (from -85°C to +260°C ) to resist extreme environmental and engine temperatures
- Exceptional low temperature starting torque
- Compatibility with plastics, metals and elastomers commonly used in automotive design
- Elimination of NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)
- Not affected by most automotive solvents, oils, fluids and gases
- Oxidation and thermal stability
Fomblin® PFPE is the ideal lubrication solution for the automotive industry, meeting lubrication challenges by providing the best possible performance for demanding applications. It is used as neat oil, formulated into greases, or deposited on the part through suitable carriers.
- Oxidation and thermal stability
- Chemical resistance to most automotive solvents, oils, fluids and gases
- The broadest operating temperature range of any lubricant in its class, from -85°C to +290°C.
A lubricant can extend the life of electrical switches and connectors. Some are designed for low electrical currents to send signals to relays and computers. Others are designed to carry high electrical loads to starters, headlights and turn signals. More and more switches are expected to do both and to perform across a wide temperature range.
Fomblin® PFPE lubricants are characterized by their excellent electrical properties and extremely wide operating temperature range. They are used to lubricate automotive connectors where the low temperature (-40°C) specifications are especially challenging.
Fomblin® PFPE oils have low electrical resistance in thin films without affecting the resistance between adjacent conductors or components.
Vacuum Pump Lubrication
Fomblin® PFPE fluorinated fluids are:
- Thermally stable
- Chemically inert
They are compatible with:
- Hydrogenated polymers
- Aggressive gases, even at very high temperatures.
- Low vapor pressure
- Good dielectrical properties.
When critical applications have to be addressed where aggressive chemical environments, high temperatures or wide working temperature ranges are involved, they represent the lubricants of choice. Fomblin® PFPE Y LVAC and Y HVAC grades are ideal for use in vacuum pumps as sealing and working fluids especially in those systems exposed to aggressive gases. Fomblin® PFPE Y HVAC combines narrow molecular weight range and controlled viscosity with an extremely low vapor pressure.
Chemical inertness, thermal stability above 290°C and the potential to provide anti-rust and anti-wear additivation make the Fomblin® VAC product line ideal for lubrication of vacuum pumps in harsh environments such as semiconductor processing.
Magnetic Recording Media Lubrication
Fomblin® PFPE Z derivatives are well know lubricants for the Magnetic Recording Media industry. They are used as top lubricant on the HD drive surface to prevent damaged on the disk surface.
Bakery Oven Lubrication
Fomblin® PFPE-based fluorinated greases are ideally suited for use as an oven chain and bearing lubricant, especially for high temperature applications. They offer outstanding properties:
- Stable performance in extreme temperatures
- Reduced friction and wear while extending equipment life in severe duty applications
- Approved and registered by NSF International in the H1 category
- Non-toxic, no decomposition and no carbon residue
- Resistant to acidic or caustic cleaners, steam, moisture
- Increased ease of maintenance and reduced service time with less risk of downtime.
HPHT Hydraulic Fluids
In the Oil & Gas industry there is an increasing need for hydraulic fluids able to withstand extreme temperatures up to 260°C and high pressures (30,000 psi). The conventional hydraulic fluids start degrading at 220°C, while Fomblin® PFPE oils are stable up to 290°C.
Fomblin® PFPE key properties:
- Temperature resistance (up to 290°C)
- Resistance in very aggressive environments
- Dielectric properties make them suitable to be used in contact with electronic equipment
Solvay offers a portfolio of anti-wear and anti-rust additives to be used in combination with the Fomblin® PFPE oils.
Fomblin® PFPE lubricants are ideal for use as vacuum pump oils in wafer manufacturing processing such as dry etching and CVD.