Application Engineer - Smart Device
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
- Work directly with customers in collaboration with the sales and marketing to identify & develop application opportunities where Solvay’s specialty polymers add value and solve customer problems.
- Elicit a complete set of customer requirements and develop the value proposition of Solvay materials.
- Acquire dynamic market knowledge and competitive landscape understanding.
- Work directly with the Global CTD community and our Research and Development teams, to lead the development and implementation of solutions for customer applications. This includes polymer material recommendation and validation, design support for metal to plastic conversion, prototyping support, tooling design recommendations, testing, and processing assistance.
- Provide technical training and literature for both internal and external use about designing with polymers, polymer selection, polymer processing, simulation and prototyping.
- Champion sustainability solutions.
- Collaboratively interact and share expertise with the global CTD team, and create technical marketing literature.
- Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or equivalent applicable technical degree
- 3+ Years of experience in a technical position working with Polymers: knowledge of polymers physics, material selection, and processing
- Mechanical aptitude, experience in part and tooling design and failure analysis
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively to build deep relationships with both external customers and within a global Solvay team
- Strong communication skills & customer-focus
- Willing and able to travel 50-60% of the time and have a flexible working schedule
- Ideally, candidates will have real hands-on experience working with polymers in a manufacturing environment (extrusion, injection molding, compression molding).
- Ability to execute projects with short life cycles.
- Preferred candidates will be able to build strong relationships with customers and within the organization and coach and mentor less experienced colleagues.
- Experience in Smart Devices market/tiers/ customers is a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, technically-oriented
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in a customer-facing and commercial environment
- Excellent project management skills
- Data analysis, quantitative, qualitative
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it.