R&I Research Technician
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
The Research Technician is responsible for providing testing and data collecting activities for the Solvay Carbon Fiber R&I Department. The applicant is expected to:
Maintain a safe work environment for self and others. Participate in peer and Area Coordinator safety audits. Attend all required safety meetings & training.
Perform a variety of routine and complex analytical procedures including the synthesis and analysis of polymers, the processing of carbon fiber, and the testing of fiber. Testing and analysis includes particle size analysis, DSC-TGA, GPC, and gas chromatography.
Execute detailed experimental plans in the carbon fiber pilot line/service line as directed by Scientist or Engineer.
Prepare fiber samples for tensile testing and be able to perform the testing.
Assist in the development of new analytical methods, and process improvements.
Update SOPs and write summary reports communicating the results of studies.
Maintain assigned analytical and pilot line equipment.
Required: Associates degree in a technical science field and 3 + years relevant experience
Preferred: BS degree in Chemistry, Material Science, or a related science
- Must be able to regularly lift and move items weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Must be able to wear a respirator (medically qualified).
- Data analysis
- Function as an individual contributor and work as part of a team
- Excellent computer skills required (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work across multiple groups and functions
- High attention to detail and ability to work meticulously
- Mechanical aptitude
- Demonstrated problem solving ability and capability to identify improvements to current processes
- Fiber knowledge or handling experience is a strong plus.
- Hands-on experience in analytical testing (FTIR, HPLC, GC , GPC, TGA and DSC etc.) in industrial or academic settings a plus
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it.