State and Local Tax Manager
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. Our purpose—we bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress—is a call to go beyond, to reinvent future forms of progress and create sustainable shared value for all through the power of science. In a world facing an ever-growing population and quest for resources, we aim to be the driving force triggering the next breakthroughs to enable humanity to advance while protecting the planet we all share.
We bond with customers and partners to address today and tomorrow’s megatrends. As a global leader in Materials, Chemicals and Solutions, Solvay brings advancements in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, water and air treatment, to solve critical industrial, social and environmental challenges. You can count on our innovative solutions to contribute to safer, cleaner and more sustainable future.
The State and Local Tax Manager is responsible for the administration of all state and local income and franchise tax requirements (compliance and provision) for the Company. In addition, this position is required to continuously monitor and understand new and proposed legislative initiatives in order to evaluate the potential impact and is expected to influence, motivate and guide members of the tax team in the area of state and local taxation in order to achieve the department’s goals.
Daily responsibilities include:
- Review and prepare various state single entity, combined and unitary income and franchise tax returns for Solvay’s legal entities.
- Analyzes state and local tax accounts and prepares and reviews state tax provision to ensure proper and accurate accounting for financial statements and reporting purposes.
- Responsible for all state and local income and franchise tax audits
- Evaluates state and local tax filing requirements (nexus) when new entities are brought into the Group and also re-evaluates on an annual basis for existing entities and formulates appropriate tax filing positions.
- Researches and implements tax incentives when appropriate to maximize tax savings.
- Stays current with changes in state and local tax legislation by participating in continuing education and evaluates the impact to the Company and implements any necessary changes for compliance
In this role your goals and KPIs will be focused around:
- Ensures state and local tax returns are filed in a timely and accurate manner in accordance with state and local tax filing requirements in order to keep the Company in good standing
- Successful defense of state and local income tax audits
- Ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and shift priorities, while ensuring deadlines are met
- Ability to identify, understand and communicate issues, including developing process solutions
- Added value for the candidate: (emphasize opportunities and indicate why an employed high-performing person would want this role, what it brings, what they will learn, etc.)
- Ability to run the state and local tax function
Qualifications and requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance required. Advanced degree in Tax and/or CPA preferred.
- At least five (5) years of relevant tax experience in either public accounting or private industry.
- Extensive working knowledge of state corporate tax laws and regulations for tax compliance and planning purposes.
- Knowledge and skills (including research skills) related to the following disciplines: accounting, auditing, finance and tax law.
- Working knowledge of SAP software used for financial consolidations and Corptax software for tax return preparation is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize multiple on-going projects
- Opportunity for remote/hybrid work; must be able to commute to Princeton, NJ.
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it.