Welder/Pipefitter-Baton Rouge, LA
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement.
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. Our purpose—we bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress—is a call to go beyond, to reinvent future forms of progress and create sustainable shared value for all through the power of science. In a world facing an ever-growing population and quest for resources, we aim to be the driving force triggering the next breakthroughs to enable humanity to advance while protecting the planet we all share.
We bond with customers and partners to address today and tomorrow’s megatrends. As a global leader in Materials, Chemicals and Solutions, Solvay brings advancements in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, water and air treatment, to solve critical industrial, social and environmental challenges. You can count on our innovative solutions to contribute to safer, cleaner and more sustainable future.
- Attends daily meeting to receive and discuss daily work orders. Orders include dismantle, repair, and install equipment, and structures. May complete 1-5 work orders depending on the size and complexity of the job task.
- Communicates with unit operations to ensure work site has been prepared and to avoid interfering with activities of other workers. Follows lockout-tag out procedures, checks for documentation of entry permit and checks to make sure lines are closed and locked.
- Analyzes the problem and determines the materials required to complete the task. Transports materials to the area using assistive mechanical device as needed.
- Welds metal parts together, using both stick rod and heli-arc welding techniques.
- Performs related tasks, such as thermal cutting and grinding.
- Repairs broken or cracked parts, fills holes, and increases size of metal parts. Installs modifications to equipment, or structures.
- Positions and clamps together components of fabricated metal products preparatory to welding.
- Operates and utilizes assistive devices such as man-lift to safely position self at a height to complete the task.
- Removes any product from dismantled equipment by washing surfaces prior to transporting item out of area. Inspects work site to determine presence/cause of obstruction and ascertain that holes cut for pipe will not cause structural weakness.
- Determine size of pipe and related material and equipment such as supports, and hangers per specifications as well as type of tools required to complete the job. May be required to dig area around piping to dismantle.
- Cuts pipe, using saws, pipe cutter, hammer & chisel, cutting torch, and pipe cutting machine. May use grinders or ban saws to improve sealing of repair.
- Bends pipe, using pipe bending tools and machine. Assembles and installs a variety of pipes, tubes, and fittings. May use big and small cranes, man-lift, vertical ladder, chain fall, or come-a-long to lift pipe to area of installment.
- Connects pipe, using threaded, caulked, soldered, brazed, fused, or cemented joints and hand tools.
- Secures pipes to structure with brackets, clamps, and hangers using hand tools and power tools.
- Observes the connected pressure gauge in the pipe system to test for leaks.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment per job task specification or specified plant location.
- Performs housekeeping within area of operation.
- Tests installed equipment to ensure safe operations.
- Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) according to specific plant location or per job task specification.
- Performs other duties/projects as specified by supervisor, and parameters are indicative to average requirements that are not inclusive based on change in operational, safety, or environmental factors.
Desire experience, education, and skills:
- Pipe fitter Certification
- ITI Pipe fitter/Welding Certification (written and demonstration)
- Welding Certification
- Certification in Forklift and Man lift training required annually.
Location(s): Baton Rouge (Louisiana, USA)
If you’d like to find out more about what happens next with your application or get some tips on how to complete it.