VIDEO: Discover E-SIS® !
Demonstration and validation of an innovative on-board automatic fuel additives storage and dosing system for diesel vehicles
Through the LIFE AUTO project, Solvay and SOGEFI aim to combine different concepts (fuel additives, hardware and software) into prototypes and demonstrators, to provide to the automotive industry, an innovative solution to reduce the environmental impact of diesel engines and to meet the EU’s 2020 target of 95 gCO2/km.
Transportation currently accounts for 23% of the world's greenhouse-gas emissions. The developing world keeps buying more vehicles, use more biofuels, some of which have side effects on the fuel injection system, e.g. deposit or even fouling / coking of key parts, reducing engine performance (increased pollution and fuel consumption), reliability, and durability.
The implementation of more stringent European diesel exhaust emission standards (e.g. Euro 5 and EURO 6) forces the automotive industry to use the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) technology that is common in passenger cars in Europe. One of the main technologies uses an “on board” fuel additive, called Fuel Borne Catalyst (FBC), to trigger DPF regeneration. To match environmental and economic targets, a new automatic storage and dosing system for fuel additives is required. On-board integration, cost, flexibility, and communality are the key design parameters. Solvay and SOGEFI already developed a Proof of Concept. The aim of LIFE AUTO project is to combine the different concepts (fuel additives, hardware and software) into prototypes and demonstrators, and finally for the automotive industry to accept it.
Environmental objective: Provide an innovative solution to meet the European Union's 2020 target of 95 gCO2/km
- Enable use of biodiesel and renewable fuels (up to 10% by 2020 in Europe, up to 30% in vehicle fleet operators, and up to 100% for some Heavy-Duty niche markets): CO2 emission reduced by up to 12 g/km
- Save fuel in urban driving conditions through use of fuel additive technology in combination with catalyzed-Diesel particulate filter: CO2 emission reduced by 5 g/km
- Increase fuel economy, enabling high efficiency deNOx technology: CO2 emission reduced by up to 5 g/km
- Help the industrial and off-road automotive industry retain diesel engines
Main innovative aspect: Combination of various concepts to reduce the environmental impact of diesel engines
- Hardware that can replace the diesel fuel filter, the additive tank and the dosing pump, with no or limited connection to the ECU of the vehicle
- Fuel additives that are designed to continuously clean the emission treatment systems, as well as high pressure fuel injection systems
- Software that ensures intelligent additive injection