Loop Life Project
- Philippe Moissonnier (Industrial Direction) joined the team as project director, replacing Philippe Alinat
- Yann Mayer joined the project team as production manager (Saint Fons Chimie), replacing Yves Courtemanche
- Olivier Larcher (Research & Development) joined the project team as Recycling Platform Manager, coordinating R&D action in the field of recycling
- Boris Chabert (Research & Development) was hired in July 2012 as R&D Process Engineer to support the LOOP project
- Florent Bourachot (Finance) is supporting the project as finance controller
The phosphor powders ready to be recycled are sent to the Solvay plant in Saint Fons where they will undergo a series of physical and chemical treatment resulting in the production of a rare earth concentrate.
This concentrate is then shipped to the Solvay plant in La Rochelle for additional processing steps.
The rare earth concentrate produced at the Saint Fons plant is sent to the Solvay plant in La Rochelle where it undergoes further thermal and chemical processing.
The concentrate is dissolved through hydrometallurgical process and the rare earths are separated and purified using the unique expertise in liquid extraction of the technical teams from La Rochelle.
Once separated and purified, the rare earths are then reformulated into new phosphor precursors that will be reused in the production of new energy-saving lamps.
Tens of millions of lamps are disposed each year in Europe, representing a major environmental challenge.
These lamps have been collected and recycled for several years, and the recycling industry is based on the principle of voluntary contribution of lamps users to a collection point.
In France, Récylum is the company in charge of organizing collection.
Once collected, the lamps are sorted and recycled by specialized recycling companies that valorize mainly glass and metals.
Since the Solvay project start-up, the phosphorescent powder has been valorized, where it becomes the raw material, and will be now sent to Saint Fons instead of being eliminated.