Electrical and Electronics Systems
Solvay’s unique portfolio of high-performance solutions for the Automotive industry
|Liquid Crystal Polymers||
Air Induction Systems
Amodel® PPA Outperforms Conventional Nylons
With a heat deflection temperature of 280°C (536°F) and continuous-use temperature up to 210°C (410°F), Amodel® polyphthalamide (PPA) can take the heat in under-the-hood applications that are too demanding for conventional nylons and polyesters. This allows charge air cooler (CAC) housings, airflow valves, throttle bodies and other components molded from Amodel PPA to maintain their high strength and stiffness along with excellent creep and fatigue resistance when exposed to high heat and thermal cycling.
- Excellent mechanical properties over a broad range of operating temperatures and pressures
- Continuous use up to 210°C (410°F)
- Excellent resistance to automotive fluids, cleaners and road salts
- Low moisture absorption
- Excellent dimensional stability
- CAC Hot Air Ducts
- CAC Housings
- Diesel Airflow Valves
- EGR Valves & Housings
- Throttle Bodies
- Turbocharger Housings
Wear-Resistant Plastics for Turbocharger Components
- Long-term use from 120-265°C (248-509°F)
- Short-term use up to 280°C (536°F)
- Lubricated and non-lubricated environments
- Self-lubricating for longer life
- Lighter weight and less noise than metals
- Non-corrosive and non-galling
- Bearing Retainers
- Compressor Wheels
- Isolation Disks
- Seal Rings
Cooling and Heating Systems
Amodel PPA Delivers Full-Size Performance for Down-Sized Engines
Amodel® polyphthalamide (PPA) is a semi-aromatic polyamide that has successfully replaced die-cast aluminum in engine coolant systems for over 15 years. This high-performance polyamide offers fundamental performance advantages over conventional polyamides due to its aromatic nature and is routinely used to replace metal in under-the-hood applications where heat, humidity and chemical resistance are major considerations.
Diofan® PVDC Corrosion Protection for Automotive, Railway, Agricultural and Construction Machinery Parts
Thanks to its unrivalled low moisture and water permeability, single coats or primers based on Diofan® PVDC Dispersions exhibit outstanding corrosion resistance, even in the most severe environments. Diofan® based anticorrosive coating formulations enable cost efficient, reliable protection for automotive underbody and part coatings as well as for components in railway, agricultural, construction machinery and many other applications.
Diofan® binders provide excellent early water resistance, with overall performance equivalent to that obtained from traditional high performance solvent based paint systems (salt spray performance > 1000 h). Diofan® dispersions help in the formulation of highly technical, one-pack, water-based paints which are better for both health and the environment.
This low VOC dispersion (<100 ppm) allowing for the production of anticorrosion systems compliant with European and local regulations, notably those related to VOCs.
High-Temperature Plastics for Long-Lasting Performance
Solvay's portfolio of Specialty Polymers offers a broad range of high-performance plastics with a proven track record of replacing metal in demanding automotive applications:
- Torlon® PAI delivers high strength and excellent wear resistance
- KetaSpire® PEEK provides very good wear resistance
- AvaSpire® PAEK offers very good wear resistance and is more cost effective than PEEK
- Amodel® PPA the most cost effective with good wear resistance
Increased system complexity, higher operating and processing temperatures along with reduced weight allowances and overcrowded engines have made material selection a critical factor. Solvay’s broad selection of high-performance plastics can help you meet these challenges.
|Semi-Crystalling Polymers||Sulfone Polymers|
|Amodel® PPA||Xydar® LCP||Udel® PSU||Veradel® PESU|
|Engine control units||√|
|Motor brush holders||√|
|Motor end caps||√|
Improve Fuel Economy & Reduce Emissions
Amodel® PPA is compatible with a wide variety of fuel blends and thrives in the much hotter, confined and stressed environments created by today’s engines.
Ixef® PARA is enabling a new technology designed to help small engine fuel tank manufacturers more cost-effectively meet CARB and EPA standards.
Optimal Pipes, Tubes and Hoses
Algoflon® DF powders are used for pipes and tubings for fuel transport in automotive systems with exceptional performance:
Solef® PVDF qualities of impermeability and chemical resistance recommend their use in automotive fuel transport systems. A layer of Solef® PVDF within the construction of a multi-layer fuel line enhances the strength, permeation resistance and durability of the hose.
High Performance Seals
Tecnoflon® fluoroelastomers offer resistance to the most aggressive fuel mixtures while providing excellent properties for the lowest permeation. Tecnoflon® FKM grades have been designed to cover a broad operating temperature range: -40°C to +250°C. Applications include O-rings, fuel line quick-connect seals, fuel sender unit seals, fuel host connectors and fuel cap seals.
Fluorolink® PFPE fluorinated additives and modifiers for vulcanized elastomers improve the slip properties of elastomeric compounds and surface properties reducing or eliminating interior noises and squeaks, the stick/slip phenomenon in weatherstripping, components that require low insertion forces and sliding components.
Fomblin® PFPE High Performance Lubricants
Fomblin® PFPE fluorinated fluids are high performance lubricants with exceptional properties such as:
- Fuel compatibility
- Low evaporation weight loss
- Low noise
- High viscosity index
- Anti-wear properties
- No carbonized residue formation
- Very long service life at high and low temperatures (-40°C to 150°C)
- Satisfying Extended Warranties - Components must be designed for lifetime lubrication
- Exceptional low temperature starting torque
- Compatibility with plastics, metals and elastomers commonly used in automotive design
- Elimination of NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)
- Not affected by most automotive solvents, oils, fluids and gases
- Oxidation and thermal stability
- Air Induction Systems
- Fan & Radiator Lubrication for Cooling & Heating Systems
- Contact Lubrication for E/E systems
- Fuel system mechanical and hydraulic components
- Mechanical components
Mechanical & Structural Components
Lightweight Plastics Reduce Cost and Fuel Consumption
More to Offer than Metal
- Lighter weight lowers fuel consumption
- Parts consolidation reduces labor and process costs
- Molded net shapes eliminate secondary operations
- Excellent chemical and corrosion resistance without painting or coating
- Maintain or improve performance in extreme environments
|Aromatic Polyamides||Spire® Ultra Polymers|
|Ixef® PARA||Amodel® PPA||AvaSpire® PAEK||KetaSpire® PEEK||Torlon® PAI|
|Suspension & Hydraulics||✓||✓||✓||✓|
Self Lubricating Bearing Surfaces
High performance films made of POM, POM/PTFE, PEEK, PBT, PA 4,6 are widely used as self lubricating bearing surfaces, thanks to their unique properties:
- Abrasion/wear resistance and low maintenance
- Close tolerance film for even wearing (+/- 3%)
- Custom surface finishes for specific applications
- Power steering
- Steering gear
- Seat slides
Algoflon® PTFE dispersions find application in coagulation processes, especially co-coagulation with fillers in the production of mechanical components such as bearings and seals for automotive.
Processing methods are those used for conventional co-coagulation technology. A wide range of articles can be obtained, all of them combining the premium properties of PTFE such as lowest coefficient of friction, chemical inertness and stability at high temperatures, together with improved mechanical and wear resistance.
Wire & Cable
Jacket and Primary Insulation
Sophisticated control and sensing systems have stringent demands for their cabling which only fluoropolymers can deliver. Solvay offers Hyflon® PFA/MFA®, Halar® ECTFE and cross-linkable grades of Solef® PVDF.
For applications such as automotive push-pull cables, Hyflon® MFA® offers:
- High temperature resistance
- Chemical resistance
- Smooth surface properties
For over-cable jacketing applications and primary conductor insulation, Algoflon® DF PTFE fine powders shows:
- Outstanding chemical inertness
- Outstanding thermal resistance
- Excellent electrical properties
- Non-stick characteristics in a wide range of temperatures from cryogenic to 260°C
- Non-flammable materials