Improve Fuel Economy & Reduce Emissions
The global need to reduce evaporative emissions along with changes in fuel formulations have sparked a strong interest in higher-performing plastics, fluids and elastomers for use in automotive and other fuel-burning engines.
Amodel® PPA Replaces Metal
For over 15 years, Amodel® PPA has successfully replaced metal in fuel system components where heat is a major consideration. With a heat deflection temperature of 280°C and continuous-use temperatures from 120-180°C, Amodel® PPA delivers the thermal performance you need for the short term as well as the long haul.
- High strength and stiffness
- Ultra-low permeation
- Bio-diesel and flex fuel compatibility
- Long-term fuel contact from 60-125°C
- Continuous use from 120-180°Cv
- Resistance to automotive fluids, cleaners and road salts
- ESD and toughened grades available
Ixef® PARA Reduces Complexity and Cost with Fewer Layers
Ixef® BXT-2000/0203 has been approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a barrier solution for three-layer fuel tank systems for small-engine fuel tanks such as lawnmowers, snow blowers, weed trimmers and generators.
Ixef® BXT-2000/0203 is a reformulated extrusion and blow moldable polyarylamide (PARA) resin that offers a lower processing temperature, higher flow and a wider processing window than the previous BXT 2000 grade.
The material can also be used in two-layer barrier structures such as fuel lines, filler pipes and low-permeation fuel hoses because it can withstand direct contact with fuel.
- Ultra-low permeation
- Excellent impact resistance to minus 40°C
- Direct contact with bio-diesel and high ethanol fuels
- Two-layer and three-layer barrier technology
- Exceptional processing stability
- Continuous barrier at pinch line
- Low extractibles in alcohol-based fuels
- Small engine fuel tanks
- Delivery and vapor hoses
- Filler tubes
- Storage containers
- Sheet and film
When exposed to CM15 fuel for 5,000 hours at 60°C, Ixef® BXT 2000 showed low weight gain, little dimensional change and excellent retention of mechanical properties. Additional testing to confirm the material’s long-term compatibility with Fuel C, CE10, CE85, B20 SME, B20 RME and No. 2 diesel are near completion.
Average permeability rates over 28 days
CE10 fuel (90% Fuel C, 10% ethanol) at 60°C
High Performance Seals
Tecnoflon® fluoroelastomers offer resistance to the most aggressive fuel mixtures while providing excellent properties for the lowest permeation. Tecnoflon® FKM grades have been designed to cover a broad operating temperature range: -40°C to +250°C. Applications include O-rings, fuel line quick-connect seals, fuel sender unit seals, fuel host connectors and fuel cap seals.
Chemical Resistance in Flex Fluids
Fluid Testing in Ethanol Blends, 70 hrs @ 60°C
Fluid Testing at Methanol Blends, 168 hrs @ 23°C / 40°C
Fluid Testing in Biodiesel, 336 hrs @ 150°C
Optimal Pipes, Tubes and Hoses
Algoflon® DF powders are used for pipes and tubings for fuel transport in automotive systems with exceptional performance:
- Chemical inertness in aggressive environments
- Thermal resistance
- Electrical properties
- Non-stick characteristics in a wide range of temperatures from cryogenic to 260°C
Solef® PVDF qualities of impermeability and chemical resistance recommend their use in automotive fuel transport systems. A layer of Solef® PVDF within the construction of a multi-layer fuel line enhances the strength, permeation resistance and durability of the hose.
Fomblin® PFPE is a family of high performance fluorinated lubricants with exceptional properties such as:
- Compatibility with fuels
- Wide temperature service range
- Oustanding properties at low temperature
- Low evaporation weight loss, which extends the durability of the lubricant and of the lubricated components
- Non-flammable and safe
- Oxidation and thermal stability and resistant to most automotive solvents, oils, fluids and gases.