Solvay Solidarity Fund
Working together to fight COVID-19
Contributing resources to support Solvay's community
The world is facing an unprecedented health and social emergency with communities severely hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Across our various businesses around the globe, Solvay has been able to provide critical supplies of products and contributions for protective equipment such as hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), hand sanitizer, face shields and many others, to those in distress.
At Solvay, our Purpose invites us to bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress, and our current reality calls us to do precisely this, especially now.
The aim of the Solvay Solidarity Fund is to take our Purpose a step further by supporting our employees and their loved ones through hardship due to the global coronavirus pandemic.
More than €5 million deployed to support thousands of families
The Solvay Solidarity Fund deployed in 2020 and 2021 a total of more than 5 million euros to provide financial support to thousands of families facing severe hardship due to the Covid-19 crisis as well as to help victims of recent floods in Europe.
Overall key highlights include:
- 737 individual applications handled
- Average ~€3,500 granted
- Individual requests from 19 different countries
- ~20 collective projects supported all around the world
Together with the King Baudouin Foundation
The Fund is hosted by the King Baudouin Foundation under the guidance of a management committee with equal representation from the Foundation, Solvay and a third party to be chosen—all three of whom will be responsible for deciding the fund's donations based on criteria aligned with the statutes of the King Baudouin Foundation.
Who will you help?
At Solvay, we believe our response to COVID-19 must be a collaborative effort. The Fund's primary mission is to support the solidarity between Solvay's executives, employees, shareholders and partners towards the Group's employees heavily impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic around the world.
Your contribution will provide additional support to any Solvay employee and dependents who may experience hardship due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. Any remaining surplus funds will be dedicated to COVID-19 charitable and research organizations.
Dr. Peter Piot appointed Honorary Chairman of the Solvay Solidarity Fund
The UK-based microbiologist known for co-discovering Ebola will advise the fund in its support to Solvay employees, charities and research groups in the ongoing fight against COVID-19.
"We are only at the beginning of this pandemic and it's important now more than ever that we show solidarity to overcome the unprecedented challenges ahead," explained Dr. Piot. "I was inspired by the quick action taken by Solvay to build this infrastructure to support its own employees and organizations in need, as they will undoubtedly face severe impacts from the consequences of COVID-19. I am honored to offer counsel to the Solvay Solidarity Fund as it seeks to expand its support in the months and years to come."
The Solvay Solidarity Fund aims to provide:
- individual assistance to staff members or their families throughout the world who have been severely affected and find themselves in great difficulty or major distress in terms of health, education of their children, unemployment, limitation or disappearance of their social and/or health cover;
- support for the health and social organizations which take care of these persons;
- support to research, health and social organizations involved in the COVID-19 crisis and extended to other health or equivalent crises if the funds raised by the Fund allow after meeting the immediate needs of Solvay employees and their dependents globally.
How can I contribute?
We call upon everyone’s generosity to contribute to the Solvay Solidarity Fund.