Solvay expands coatings additives portfolio with new specialty monomers and performance additives for paints, coatings, adhesives and inks
Princeton, NJ, March 14, 2018 — Solvay will introduce a new line of products designed to answer customers’ unmet needs in creating binder, color and performance systems, when the global specialty chemical company supplier exhibits at the American Coatings Show, at booth 1541, April 10-12 in Indianapolis.
The new products deliver a range of benefits that include excellent emulsion stability, particle-size control; improved adhesion to difficult substrates; exceptional pigment wetting and dispersion; enhanced color acceptance, compatibility and workability. They provide better film performance, such as high scrub, stain and water resistance, open-time or freeze-thaw improvement for the development of environmentally friendly formulations intended for architectural paints, industrial coatings, adhesives and printing inks.
Solvay draws from its expertise in surface chemistry to deliver tailored solutions that boost the performance of various coatings formulations. Its product portfolio focuses on three main areas of coatings expertise:
- As a global leader in emulsion polymerization, Solvay offers a range of specialty surfactants and monomers that enable the conversion from solvent- to water-based coatings systems.
- Products such as Rhodasurf®, Rhodafac®, Rhodapex® and Aerosol® surfactant solutions, as well as the Sipomer® PAM, WAM and B CEA series of APE- and VOC-free specialty adhesion monomers can enhance adhesion to metals such as aluminum, cold rolled steel and other difficult substrates.
- High efficiency Rhodoline® 3000 and 4000 dispersants for water-based pigment concentrates provide exceptional color intensity, color acceptance improvement, high stability and optimum viscosity, facilitating the development of formulations intended for different applications in architectural paints, industrial coatings and printing inks.
- Rhodoline® WA 265N is a new VOC- and APE-free, low-foaming wetting and dispersing agent specifically designed for waterborne architectural paints for improved pigment wetting, color compatibility and stability properties.
- Rhodoline® CL 3101, a new breakthrough, odor-free, low-VOC, coalescent agent designed for waterborne architectural paints, provides excellent film-forming properties without compromising paint performance.
- Rhodoline® OTE 600, an innovative, VOC-free, open-time extender, improves workability of low- to zero-VOC paints. This product enables paint formulators to lower VOC content by removing glycols in their formulations.
In addition to the new products, Solvay will highlight the launch of its new web-platform, designed to showcase the value proposition of its coatings product portfolio and enhance the user experience.
“We have simplified the site to provide instant solutions to your needs and problems,” said Sel Avci, Global Marketing Director, Novecare Coatings. “Our goal is to meet and exceed the needs of our coatings customers by offering solutions that deliver superior properties over those traditionally found in our market.”
SOLVAY NOVECARE is a worldwide leader in specialty surfactants and a major player in polymers, amines and guar. Solvay Novecare engineers and develops formulations that provide consumer products and state-of-the-art industrial applications with specific functional qualities designed to modify fluid behavior and deliver cleansing, dispersal, gelling, moisturizing, penetrating, softening or texturizing properties. These formulations are used in shampoos, detergents, paints and lubricants as well as in crop protection, energy production and stimulation. Novecare, which boasts a worldwide network of 28 manufacturing sites and 22 R&D centers, has become the preferred partner of its customers in rapidly growing economies and leverages an innovation platform based on sustainable solutions.
Solvay is an advanced materials and specialty chemicals company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers worldwide in many diverse end markets. Its products are used in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, as well as in mineral and oil and gas extraction, enhancing efficiency and sustainability. Its lightweighting materials promote cleaner mobility, its formulations optimize the use of resources and its performance chemicals improve air and water quality. Solvay is headquartered in Brussels with around 26,800 employees in 61 countries. Net sales were €10.1 billion in 2017, with 90% from activities where Solvay ranks among the world’s top 3 leaders, resulting in an EBITDA margin of 22%. Solvay SA (SOLB.BE) is listed on Euronext Brussels and Paris (Bloomberg: SOLB.BB - Reuters: SOLB.BR) and in the United States its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a level-1 ADR program. Financial figures take into account the announced divestment of Polyamides.