A Unique Combination of Properties and a Cost/Performance Balance
Ryton® polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) is a semi-crystalline, high-heat polymer that offers exceptional dimensional stability for precision-molded components needing to withstand prolonged, high-temperature service. It is inherently flame retardant and offers chemical resistance comparable to PEEK and fluoropolymers.
Why Ryton® PPS?
- A remarkable combination of both long-term and short-term thermal stability
- Exceptionally high modulus and creep resistance
- Outstanding chemical resistance to a wide variety of aggressive chemical environments
- Precision molding to tight tolerances with high reproducibility
- Inherent non-flammability without flame retardant additives
- Dielectric and insulating properties stable over a wide range of conditions
In Automotive, Ryton® PPS is used in components required to withstand high temperatures, mechanical stress and corrosive automotive fluids. By replacing metal, Ryton® PPS reduces fuel consumption, lowers costs and improves system integration.
In Electrical/Electronic, Ryton® PPS meets performance requirements for connectors, sockets, relays and switches, bobbins and coils, electronic packaging, and encapsulated devices.
For Appliances, Ryton® PPS is used to replace metals, thermosets, and lower performing plastics in motors and controls, pumps, fans and blowers, and E/E components used in HVAC and other demanding applications.
Ryton® PPS Product Line
There are two distinct types of Ryton® PPS polymers:
- Branched PPS results from heating PPS in the presence of oxygen (curing). The property changes that occur are a result of molecular chain extension and formation of molecular chain branches that increase the molecular weight resulting in improved chemical resistance, thermal performance, and creep resistance and the capability to achieve and maintain tight tolerances in molded parts.
- HMW linear PPS has a higher molecular weight than regular PPS. The molecular weight of this polymer is nearly double that of regular PPS. This characteristic is achieved directly by polymerization. Curing is not necessary. The increased molecular chain length results in higher tenacity, elongation, and impact strength.
Find Ryton® PPS grades, technical data sheets, SDS and more
Find Ryton® PPS products by chemistry, market, application, etc.