Our composite materials solutions
The partner of choice for advanced materials development
As a top tier supplier to the aerospace engineered materials market known for our technology leadership and the value Solvay brings to our customers: scale and technical capability, profitability in the top quartile of peers, double-digit earnings growth in previous business cycles.
Combining 50 years of technology heritage, a comprehensive product portfolio and expertise in design materials and process engineering to deliver innovative customer solutions that maximize technology capability and simplify manufacturing.
We also provide advanced composite and adhesive materials for extreme-demand environments, radical temperature changes, aircraft material expansion and contraction and other external conditions.
Product portfolio for Solvay's Composite Materials solutions.
Solvay is a premier supplier of composite materials for the aerospace and industrial markets. Customers use our advanced material solutions for unique and demanding applications with complex geometries and varied life cycles including: primary and secondary structure, interiors, aircraft engines, tooling and other applications where a combination of lightweighting, mechanical performance and design freedom are required.
Solvay's prepregs and resin systems are the industry standard for stiffness, impact resistance and thermal performance. We offer flexible processing options to enhance design freedom and lower manufacturing costs. Our knowledgeable, experienced technical support and account teams help our customers develop complex and comprehensive aerospace composite solutions.
Our prepregs and resin systems portfolio includes:
- Thermoset Prepregs - The majority of our products are thermoset composites used in a variety of applications in aerospace, automotive, oil and gas, and more. When the resin matrix and fibers are combined, an irreversible chemical bond is created when the molecules cross-link in the curing process and cause the material to be set in its final form. Thus, the material can not be remolded, reused, or recycled. However, the material’s heat resistance, stability, flexibility, and durability make it a prime candidate for cost-effective, yet high-performance design. View our entire portfolio of thermoset products.
- Thermoplastic Prepregs - Thermoplastics provide efficiency to the aerospace market, environmental resilience to the the oil and gas market, and performance and durability to the automotive market. Because curing is not necessary, the use of thermoplastic composites tend to increase manufacturing rates. Thermoplastic parts are fabricated through rapid consolidation techniques such as compression molding, stamp forming, or pultrusion. High-impact resistance, reshaping capability, and eco-friendly manufacturing options make thermoplastics a leading solution in the composites industry. View our entire portfolio of thermoplastic products.
- Preforms and Resin Infusion Systems
Manufacturing composite parts involves creation of a mold to form the material. For part manufacturers, tooling materials require high dimensional stability and appropriate durability depending on the number of cycles. Solvay offers epoxy- and BMI-based tooling materials. Both types offer superior handling characteristics and molded surface quality, which are important in assuring accurate manufacture of composite parts.
Solvay approaches composite tooling by focusing on developing material to meet future demands. Through our focused engagement in collaborative research and development programs with government, academia and industry bodies, we are able to push the boundaries in function, cost-effectiveness, durability and robust processing.
Solvay's tooling portfolio was developed to meet the Industrial markets' requirements:
- Low temperature initial cures enabling our customers to use low cost master models and removes the need for intermediate tooling
- Vacuum-only (Out of Autoclave) cure formulations being invaluable for marine, wind energy, and large tools where an autoclave would not be viable
Our tooling portfolio includes:
- Tooling prepregs – epoxy and BMI materials
- Tooling hardware manufacture (out of our Saint Jean, France site) – composite tools, heated tools, reusable silicone tooling
- Ancillary products – tooling block, tooling core, backing structures and sealing systems
Manufacturers rely on Solvay for world-leading adhesive technology and top quality products. Our adhesives are suitable for composite-to-composite, composite-to-metal and metal-to-metal bonding. Our products are designed to address the challenges that customers face due to varying substrate materials, robotic assembly processes and an infinite combination of production environments and performance requirements. As the leading supplier of aerospace adhesives, our products are qualified for use on aircraft programs and are proven to perform in demanding applications.
We formulate and manufacture a comprehensive range of molding surface improvement epoxy films fully compatible with our out-of-autoclave processable prepregs. These films are formulated to provide a range of surface options, including tough and high visual quality finishes, or sandable and paint-ready surfaces all direct from the mold, most with either no or minimal reworking prior to use.
Our full portfolio of adhesive, surfacing films and primers are available in a variety of product forms to enable manufacturing flexibility. Our knowledgeable technical and account teams provide exceptional support to help customers develop solutions for their rigorous adhesive and surfacing applications.
Our adhesives and surfacing portfolio includes:
- Composite Surfacing
- Core Splice Foams and Potting Compounds
- Firewall Sealants
- Bonding Primers
Solvay offers consumable products in individual quantities or as tailor-made kits. Our kitting service encompasses the pre-cutting of consumables from simple predetermined shapes and dimensions through the compilation of complex multi-layer integrated vacuum bag assemblies. This service allows manufacturers to focus on their core tasks and avoid time spent preparing their consumables. Our world-class service, coupled with our product expertise, assures our customers get what they need. Our comprehensive product portfolio includes:
- Vacuum bagging films
- Breather fabrics
- Peel plies
- Release fabrics
- Sealant tapes
- Valves and hoses
Solvay offers a variety of ancillary materials that support our advanced composite and adhesive product portfolios. These supplementary product forms are uniquely designed to complement our primary products and to support your advanced component manufacturing needs. Our ancillary materials portfolio includes:
- Silicone Firewall Sealants
- Silicone Casting Compounds
- Silicone Adhesives and Coatings
- Rubber Sheeting and Extrusions
- Potting Compounds
Carbon fiber products offer advantages for advanced material solutions such as light-weight, high-tensile strength, manufacturing flexibility and heat resistance. Solvay offers a range of carbon fiber products that deliver superior structural, thermal, electrical and frictional performance for a variety of unique applications, including brakes, defense systems and commercial aircraft.
Solvay maintains a stable, comprehensive and competitive supply of high-quality carbon fiber in support of our global composites manufacturing. With vertical integration capability, we offer customers streamlined product platform development and long-term supply stability. Our carbon fiber portfolio includes:
- PAN-based carbon fibers
- Pitch-based carbon fibers
Solvay's Composite Materials Application Engineering expertise is key to the business leadership. Our teams are dedicated to developing new composite products, technologies and processes to meet the affordability and higher-rate needs of our customer's industries.
We work collaboratively with our partners and customers to develop solutions that meet the market expectations in terms of lightweighting, design freedom, part and system integration. We put a strong focus on automated systems that will be key to the industrialization of composites. Our Application Center in Heanor, UK, is fully equipped with robotic equipment and is the test bed for many of our new technologies.
Download our brochures
Contact the Composites Experts
Solvay’s global team of composites experts are ready to respond to your inquiry. Please email our team of sales experts at email@example.com, and they will connect you with the right person to provide the answers you need. Because of our broad portfolio and the varieties of markets we serve, we ask you to include a detailed description of your anticipated needs. The more details you are able to provide, the faster we can locate the right specialist.