Specialty Polymers for Additive Manufacturing and 3D Printing Solutions
The next level of Additive Manufacturing
Solvay aims at becoming industry’s leading provider of Additive Manufacturing (AM) ready specialty polymers. Our material solutions will be fully integrated with design, services and processes.
As industrial 3D Printing technology continues to improve and accommodate higher performing materials, parts made by Fused Filaments Fabrications (FFF) can serve in industrial and healthcare roles previously not possible.
Starting with our tailor-made PEEK and PPSU filaments, based on KetaSpire® PEEK and Radel® PPSU, and PEKK powders, based on NovaSpire™ PEKK, for industrial 3D printing as well as our recently launched healthcare grade PEEK and PPSU filaments, we will continue to increase our range of additive manufacturing solutions to include more high-performance materials and services to optimize design, processing and part performance.
Solvay’s high-performing filaments for 3D Printing
Solvay’s portfolio of specialty polymers filaments for 3D Printing offers high strength and stiffness, flame resistance, ability to withstand aggressive chemical environments, and functionality in a wide range of temperatures.
Additionally, our new line of healthcare grades passed ISO 10993 Limited contact testing (having less than 24 hours contact with bodily fluids and tissue) and with our team of global regulatory specialists, we can support medical device submissions and data request.
These polymers offer corrosion free metal alternatives that enable light weighting solutions.
- KetaSpire® PEEK Filament provides exceptional fatigue and chemical resistance and retains its excellent mechanical properties at continuous-use temperatures up to 240°C (464°F). Discover more about KetaSpire® PEEK.
- KetaSpire® Carbon-Filled PEEK Filament incorporates 10% carbon fiber reinforcement for increased strength over unfilled PEEK
- Radel® PPSU Filament delivers the highest performance of our sulfone polymers, offering better impact resistance and chemical resistance than polysulfone (PSU) and polyetherimide (PEI) along with high heat resistance and excellent hydrolytic stability. Discover more about Radel® PPSU.
- Powders: NovaSpire™ PEKK AM Powder is available for sampling. To find out more, contact us.
Discover our new Healthcare grades
24x7 Access to our 3D Printing Solutions
Paving the way for a new customer experience, Solvay gives you direct access to its initial offering of three high-performance specialty polymers filaments.
Our online shop for 3D Printing materials aims to offer direct and timely access to Solvay’s additive manufacturing filaments, as well as transparent pricing. It is set to be enriched progressively with a larger product offer and to evolve into a worldwide portal for simulation, testing, and prototyping services that leverage Solvay’s growing partner network and open ecosystem approach.
'Print it Right the First Time' Services
Solvay is partnering with leading Additive Manufacturing hardware and software innovators to jointly optimize materials, processes, and design - and help you design, test, and print the best possible high-performance 3D parts.
Software Solutions for 3D Manufacturing
Solvay is leveraging its long-standing partnership with e-Xstream Engineering to offer customers predictive simulation solutions for additive manufacturing applications that demand a higher level of end-part performance. Solvay’s high-performance KetaSpire® PEEK filament is the first polyetheretherketone (PEEK) polymer to be included in e-Xstream Engineering Digimat® for Additive Manufacturing (Digimat-AM) simulation software.
Contact us to get access to this new service.
Hardware Solutions for 3D Manufacturing
We are working with an ecosystem of printer manufacturers to enable optimal use of our high-performance products, whatever your additive manufacturing objective. Whether you want to do part-prototyping on a desktop printer or use an established industrial platform for high-end series production, our objective is to help you find the best printing platform for our materials. We are also developing strategic partnerships with industry leaders in the printer manufacturing space to offer optimized material/hardware solutions to the market.
Open Innovation: Solvay Additive Manufacturing Cup
Solvay is committed to pushing the limits of Additive Manufacturing with high-performance polymers by developing Open Innovation projects with universities, start-ups, etc.
For the first edition in 2017 of its Additive Manufacturing Cup, three teams from France and China surpassed over 30 competitors from 13 countries in a challenge to university students from around the globe to demonstrate their aptitude for 3D printing with the Solvay’s KetaSpire® PEEK AM filament.
- The ePEEK team from Arts et Métiers ParisTech in France placed first with a very well-fabricated Solvay logo, and the production of 3D printed PEEK samples that exhibited tensile strength in the z-axis that was comparable to that achieved by injection molding.
- The Jugao team from Xi'an Jiaotong University in China earned second for 3D printing the most aesthetic Solvay logo.
- In third, the Chloé Devillard team from Claude Bernard University Lyon 1 in France demonstrated outstanding creativity and innovation in resolving the technical challenges of printing tensile specimen in the z-axis without any support material.