Solvay's COVID-19 Response
During the challenging circumstances, Solvay maintained its commitment to protecting the health of its employees and communities, the safety and security of its workplaces, and the continuation of serving our customers, especially in critical areas needed in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
We bonded to support communities in need
During the height of the pandemic, our various businesses around the globe were able to provide critical supplies to those in need. As a chemical and materials company, we were in a unique position to help contribute to this global fight against coronavirus with significant actions to support countries and organizations. We wanted to do our part in fighting COVID-19 and take care of people and communities worldwide.
In these challenging times, our various businesses around the globe have been able to provide critical supplies to those in need. As a chemical and materials company, we are in a unique position to help contribute to this global fight against coronavirus with significant actions to support countries and organizations. We want to do our part in fighting COVID-19 and take care of people and communities worldwide.
So far, our contributions have aided the production of day-to-day health and safety products, such as those used in hygiene or healthcare applications, which are seeing increased demand as those sectors face new challenges from the spread of the virus. Our Solvay actions and donations are ongoing and we will continue to update this page to keep you informed.
Our contributions aided the production of day-to-day health and safety products, such as those used in hygiene or healthcare applications, which saw increased demand as those sectors faced new challenges from the spread of the virus.
Disinfectants and sanitizers
Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are effective in preventing the spread of the virus, as the primary channel of transmission appears to be through contact between the hands and mouth. As part of our actions to contrast COVID-19, more than 700,000 liters of hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) and 15,900 liters of sanitizing gels used to disinfect and sanitize, were donated to governments and local authorities in the most affected countries. Donations of H2O2 and ready-to-use hand sanitizers were first made in February in China and were followed by similar actions in Spain, Italy, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Brazil, the U.S., Thailand and Vietnam.
To know more, take a quick look at our actions by region below.
- BELGIUM: Belgium Solvay's headquarters in Neder-Over-Hembeek received its own authorization to produce formulated hand sanitizers, a product not normally supplied directly by Solvay, in order to help during this exceptional period. Several liters already served more than 200 Belgian hospitals, pharmacies and companies, enabling them to produce more than 150,000 liters of sanitizing products.
- FRANCE: More than 10,000 liters of sanitizing gel has been already produced in our France plants to support the medical system.
- ITALY: Several thousands of liters of disinfectant formulations were donated to the Italian regions hit hardest by the epidemic. Solvay's Rosignano site sent hydrogen peroxide (35%) to the Piedmont Region Environmental Protection Agency (ARPA), which is indispensable for making gel and hand disinfectants and sanitizers for public environments. Solvay's site in Rosignano is also the only plant with this type of production in Italy. The site also sent 800 protection visors to the Region of Tuscany; demineralized water to Cecina Public Assistance, as well as 200 glasses, visors, and FFP2 masks to the local hospital while also offering financial support to the Red Cross and Cecina Public Assistance for the purchase of additional equipment.
- SPAIN: Solvay donated 4 tons of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to the Spanish authorities for hydro-alcoholic hand gel production. Donations of hypochlorite acid were given to local communities for surface purification.
- BRAZIL: Peróxidos do Brasil JV donated 27,000 liters of hydrogen peroxide (3%) to the Curitiba City Hall and 5,000 liters to the State Civil Defense. Both institutions are using it to sanitize hospitals, bus stations, public health units and others.
- UNITED STATES: Solvay's US colleagues donated 2 tons of diluted hydrogen peroxide to companies around the country to help in the effort to make hand sanitizer to support front line efforts.
- MAINLAND CHINA: With the support of employees in China, Solvay donated 10 tons of hydrogen peroxide (3%) produced in Zhenjiang to fight against the coronavirus. This H2O2 has been used by local authorities to disinfect workplaces.
- THAILAND: Solvay and Dow jointly donated 600 tons of hydrogen peroxide (100%) to the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation in Thailand. 15 million liters of disinfectant can be generated to spray over 300 million square meters of risk areas against COVID-19.
VIETNAM: Solvay donated 10,000 liters of diluted hydrogen peroxide (6%) to the Center for Disease Control of Long An Province. The donation of H2O2 is being distributed to local hospitals to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Disposable medical apparel, masks and face shields
Collective protection measures must be put in place to contain the virus to spread. As recommended by the WHO, maintaining a social distance of at least 1 meter everywhere and in all circumstances, while enhancing cleaning and disinfection, including wearing disposable protective equipment are key. We answered a call for donations of disposable medical apparel, masks and face shields in the countries where Solvay operates.
- FRANCE: To deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, our plant in Melle donated over 2,000 face masks to help caretakers stay safe. Also, nearly 1,500 surgical masks, 250 FFP2 masks, a hundred disposable surgical mob caps and 20 pairs of protective glasses were delivered to the pharmacy of the Centre Hospitalier de La Rochelle and at the EHPAD in Port-Neuf. Additionally, our plant in Clamecy has donated 1,500 pieces of protective equipment, such as disposable gowns, protective goggles, FFP2 masks, and many others. For more initiative in France, visit our local website.
GERMANY: Our Hannover plant alone, provided approx 68,000 among face masks and mouth and nose covers for the medical system.
- UNITED STATES: Our employees are working alongside communities, organizing donations and supplying equipment to those in need. For example, Solvay has provided the Spartanburg (South Carolina) County Office of Emergency Management with more than 200 suits of TYCHEM 4000 and TYCHEM 6000 — chemical resistant and disposable coveralls to provide full-body protection against direct hazardous contact with COVID-19. Also donations were made in Mt. Pleasant, Tennessee, where Solvay colleagues donated 400 full-body suits of personal protective equipment to a local hospital, Maury Regional Health.