We are mastering the elements essential to our world
Our purpose is at the heart of our brand: it outlines the reasons Solvay exists as a business. It captures the impact we aim to have on society and helps us to elevate our work – giving meaning to our individual and collective efforts. That purpose is to harness the power of chemistry to create sustainable solutions that improve daily life and address some of the world's most pressing challenges.
Ever since Ernest Solvay invented a new process for producing soda ash in 1863, we’ve recognized the importance elements play in our world. Our brand is built on the transformative impact of chemistry. On the importance of essential chemicals that are key to products used by millions of people around the world – products that are at the center of people’s everyday lives.
By mastering the potential of chemistry, we unlock the hidden possibilities within each element and help create a more sustainable future. While enhancing quality of life and promoting the wellbeing of individuals and communities around the globe.
With our passion for science and process innovation, we’re building on 160 years of experience and expertise, to help rewrite the next 160 years, and beyond. It is our mission to:
- Provide sustainable and cost-effective essential chemicals that empower our customers and partners in building a better world.
- Continue our global leadership in essential chemicals – taking a leading role in the energy transition while delivering high profitability and returns.
- Harness the strength of separating the Solvay group into two companies, maximizing on the ability this gives us to further sharpen our business focus.
With our rich heritage of scientific excellence and commitment to innovation, we continuously strive to create technologies and deliver products that drive progress and enable people and the planet to thrive.
Solvay: continuously evolving
We believe stagnation is the enemy of scientific progress. That’s why we've been constantly reinventing ourselves for the last 160 years – challenging the status quo to advance science, society, and humanity.
Committed to sustainability
At Solvay, we’re raising the bar to tackle resource scarcity and address climate change – to make our world a better place. As part of our commitment to sustainability, we’re aiming to:
- Achieve carbon neutrality for our Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 2050.
- Reduce our Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions by 30% by 2030 (compared to 2021).
- Reduce our emissions along the value chain (Scope 3 emissions) by 20% by 2030 (compared to 2021).
Who we are
Ensuring continuous progress for our planet and its people.
Our sustainability strategy
Raising the bar to tackle climate change and resource scarcity to foster a better life
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Teams with the most diverse backgrounds and experiences are also the most skilled.
Making a positive impact on society.