Solvay’s leading Out-Of-Autoclave product portfolio on display at JEC World 2017
Tempe, AZ, March 15, 2017 --- Solvay is a front-runner in cost-effective Out-Of-Autoclave (OOA) composite technologies and has developed market leading materials, delivering autoclave quality components, for primary structures within the aerospace, marine and automotive sectors. Solvay’s OOA technologies include:
- Vacuum Bag Only (VBO) prepregs and compatible adhesive and surfacing films. These structural prepregs, include CYCOM® 5320-1, MTM® 44-1, MTM® 45-1, and VTM® 260 series. They are engineered to give low porosity, long out-life and simple cure cycles. Film adhesives, such as FM® 309-1, FM® 209-1 and VTA™ 260 have been developed for VBO cure and offer superior mechanical performance. Surface Master® 905 and VTF® 266 are ideal surfacing films for VBO applications.
- Liquid resin.
- Resin infusion technology has taken a giant step forward with the introduction of PRISM® EP 2400 and PRISM® TX 1100 dry tape. PRISM® EP 2400 is a toughened epoxy system with a long pot life and low viscosity, making it ideal for large primary structures. PRISM® TX 1100 is a compatible dry carbon tape used to build an infusion preform with Automated Fiber Placement (AFP) equipment. These materials have been qualified by United Aircraft Corporation for the Irkut MS-21 wing structures developed and manufactured by AeroComposit. A demonstrator can be seen at Solvay’s JEC World 2017 stand (Hall 5A L42).
- CYCOM® PR 520 is a very tough resin offering superior damage tolerance and good strain capability, allowing the replacement of metals. It is used on highly engineered parts such as the fan blades and containment case on Safran’s LEAP engine.
- SolvaLite™ 750 is a rapid cure, high performance HP-RTM resin specifically designed for high volume serial production applications. An automotive composite floor panel can be seen at Solvay’s stand.
- Press forming prepregsare currently the fastest growing material for high volume applications. These materials offer high mechanical performance and enable the use of automated processes for part forming and hot compression molding. BMW selected SolvaLite™ 760 for its M4 GTS hood as it offered the right balance of design freedom and lightweighting. Solvay’s SolvaLite™ 710-1 and the new SolvaLite™ 730 can be seen in primary structure automotive components on Solvay’s stand.
- Thermoplastics.Thermoplastic resins can be used to make organosheets and prepregs that are then molded or stamp-formed in a press. They can also be over-molded in one shot, enabling part and function integration. Solvay’s Evolite™ and APC prepreg systems offer outstanding mechanical properties, short cycle time and are recyclable. Thermoplastic parts will be on display on Solvay’s stand.
Overall, Solvay’s OOA resin systems and composites provide a unique combination of properties giving customers the benefit of high performance products while enabling more cost-efficient and flexible manufacturing processes.
® Registered trademarks of Solvay
™ Trademarks of Solvay
About Solvay Composite Materials
Solvay’s new Global Business Unit Composite Materials is a global provider of technologically advanced lightweighting material solutions that enable our customers in the aerospace, automotive and other demanding industries to design, develop and efficiently manufacture high-quality, high-performance and complex composite structures. Composite Materials has the most extensive product portfolio, including prepregs, resin systems, adhesives and surfacing films, carbon fiber, textiles, tooling and vacuum bagging consumables, thanks to its leadership in advanced materials science, chemistry and application engineering. Solvay Composite Materials combines the former Cytec Aerospace Materials and Industrial Materials businesses.
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company, committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. Solvay innovates and partners with customers in diverse global end markets. Its products and solutions are used in planes, cars, smart and medical devices, batteries, in mineral and oil extraction, among many other applications promoting sustainability. Its lightweighting materials enhance cleaner mobility, its formulations optimize the use of resources and its performance chemicals improve air and water quality. Solvay is headquartered in Brussels with around 27,000 employees in 58 countries. Pro forma net sales were € 10.9 billion in 2016, with 90% from activities where Solvay ranks among the world’s top 3 leaders. Solvay SA (SOLB.BE) is listed on Euronext Brussels and Paris (Bloomberg: SOLB.BB - Reuters: SOLB.BR) and in the United States its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a level-1 ADR program.