Tert-Amylbenzene, an intermediate in the production of hydrogen peroxide
Tert-Amylbenzene, or TAB (chemical name, tert-pentylbenzene, CAS number 2049-95-8 ), plays a key role in a very wide spectrum of chemical processes. It is a crucial intermediate in the production of hydrogen peroxide, it serves as a building block in the synthesis of amorolfine, a potent antifungal API, and when added into rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, it prevents overheating, fire and explosion.
Solvay is the sole TAB producer in Europe and has completed the REACH registration for this product. Backed by decades of expertise and our unique proprietary technology, we maintain the highest purity and quality standards in the production of three TAB grades: industrial, special and ultrapure.
Three main TAB applications
Production of 2-Amyl-anthraquinone (AAQ), a carrier in hydrogen peroxide production
- Indispensable building block in the production of AAQ
- High level of purity yields higher productivity
Synthesis of amorolfine, the principal active ingredient in medicinal antifungal nail lacquers and shampoos
- As part of chemical structure of amorolfine, TAB is a key component in most amorolfine synthesis processes.
- Purity level as high as 99.3% (ultrapure grade) eliminates the need for distillation and significantly simplifies the production process
An electrolyte additive that protects rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
- Most performant choice on the market
- Adequate oxidation initiation voltage helps prevent the ignition and explosion of batteries when overcharged
- Compared to other overcharge preventing additives, TAB has a higher oxidation initiation voltage and will not react too early thus avoiding battery damage while still protecting the battery from overcharging.
- Very high purity level and low (<40ppm) moisture content makes it the perfect electrolyte additive for overcharge protection
- Currently used in batteries for small electronic devices & mobile communication devices, while use in batteries for the car industry is under investigation
More information on battery application.