Solvay sets new ambitious targets for diversity, equity and inclusion
Solvay launches its program “Solvay One Dignity” structured around three pillars: diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) with ambitious targets to be achieved by 2025.
Brussels, May 20, 2021 – Today, Solvay announces a new program called Solvay One Dignity to drive a cultural change around diversity, equity and inclusion with concrete targets to be achieved by 2025. The program will reinforce the company’s commitment to eliminate any form of discrimination and cultivate an inclusive and diverse environment that fosters equal opportunities to employees of all backgrounds, ages, genders, races, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, identities, and abilities.
With this program, Solvay aims to tackle areas like fostering a "speak-up" culture, driving salary equality, and attracting and retaining diverse talent in order to unleash the potential of the company.
“I believe companies that put human dignity first are the ones that will thrive, prosper and last," explained Ilham Kadri, CEO of Solvay. "Rather than only targeting diversity figures, we’ve decided to focus on building equity first and creating the right inclusive environment to attract and retain diverse talent. If each of us – regardless of our background or identity – feels respected, welcomed, heard and valued, we will be more engaged, more innovative and as a consequence, will perform at our best.”
To ensure a common vision and set out clear direction, Solvay has set concrete targets to be achieved by 2025, such as
- Ensure equitable access to career opportunities and development, with structured mentorship programs for under-represented groups, by the end of 2021;
- Ensure fair recruitment, with the target of having a shortlist for all mid-and senior-level openings comprising 50% of under represented groups;
- Provide an assessment and development program for Solvay leaders to grow and nurture an inclusive mindset, including a DEI score for business units and functions;
- Ensure that all Solvay employees feel safe to speak up or speak out when confronted with non-inclusive behaviors that contradict the company's Code of Business Integrity;
- Accelerate gender parity at all mid and senior levels by 2030 while assessing if there are any undesired pay gaps and closing them.
Solvay One Dignity is aligned with the company's previously launched sustainability roadmap, Solvay One Planet and its commitment to promote a better life for all, such as extending the group parental leave policy to 16 weeks globally, to all co-parents regardless of gender or orientation.
Solvay will regularly communicate progress on its Solvay One Dignity program in its integrated reporting.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 23,000 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet roadmap crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering a better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €9 billion in 2020. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels and Paris (SOLB), and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program. Learn more at www.solvay.com.